Tuesday 10 September 2024

Last post from the Doddington visit.

Here we go. The last pics from the trip to Doddington. Wandering around the extensive grounds was like an adventure. Every sculpture was a surprise. Far too many to photograph them all. I see from the list of artists that Michael Scrimshaw was exhibiting 14 of his creations. I have mentioned him before on this blog. He has a studio at The Ropewalk at Barton. They will be doing the Open Studios thing again at the end of this month. I first met Michael in 2010, and several times since. This is the post about him from 2013. 

Three large pieces of rusty steel with cutouts of dandelion heads.







£75,000 if you want to buy this. 
Now you get a close up of the materials used to create it. 

The Pyramid was a good way off in the distance. The Avenue Walk was accessible on foot, but I didn't have time. A good zoom brought it closer.


The sun was casting shadows on the ground beneath the tree. 

And that's the end of the photo's. Check out the web site if you fancy visiting Doddington hall. 
 Walking across the lawn in front of the house I saw a well dressed man going towards the shed at the back of the toilet block. I thought, he looks familiar. His photograph is displayed just inside the front door of the hall. I asked him, cheekily, if he is the owner. He said yes, with a smile, I am. A brief conversation followed where I said thank you for opening up your home so we can see it. I was dead chuffed to have had a close encounter with the boss. He was dressed casually but smart. I sat down on a bench to eat my sandwich, and blow me down, a ride on mowing machine came by, and he was driving it. I mentioned this to the volunteer ladies inside the hall. They were not surprised. They said James often potters around doing little jobs. Apparently he goes out on a Sunday morning litter picking. How cool is that. What a super boss. 
I had a look at the Farm Shop, it's huge and has everything you would need to titivate your taste buds. There are shops and a nice restaurant if you should want to partake of a meal. My friends used it and said the food was smashing. One last thing to do, a walk around the pond, and record this last video. 
That's it for Doddington. I went out again the next day to a Craft Fair at Lincoln Showground. \more about that soon. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it has a great atmosphere Ilona - I think I'd love it there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great flis. I'm glad I went when I did. The sculptures are not there now. I shall look out for the next exhibition when it is advertised.

      Delete
  2. I love this! I would love to be able to visit Doddington someday. I love the sculptures! So bright and beautiful. The details on the horse are amazing. How neat to meet the man of the house. I know that made the visit extra memorable.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.