Sunday 15 September 2024

Petrol Heads at The Humber Bridge

This advert popped up on my face-it-book page on Friday morning during my first coffee of the day bimble on 'tinternet. I hadn't any plans of how I was going to spend the day, this answered it for me. Leave home just after 4pm, drive to the bridge, park underneath it, and walk across to the other side of the river. 
I had heard about this show, but not been to it before. I believe it happens four times a year. At 5.30pm the time I arrived the car park was filling up fast. People had set off early and it was half full already. See that road going up behind the trees, that goes up to the steps for pedestrians and cyclists to get on the bridge. 
Difficult to know how many vehicles there were. A couple of hundred at least. I took photo's of the most eye catching to me.
This monster came on the back of a flatbed truck, although the owner said it is road legal. When they started it up at the end to load it onto the truck the racket it made, and the smoke billowing out of it, made me wonder if it had the ability to take off and fly back home. It is for sale if you are interested. 

This is a quirky little cab with a flatbed on the back. I am not familiar with some of the makes of these vehicles, but this I think is a Morris Minor. 
A 1937 Fiat, because it says so in the windscreen. 

Fancy a sporty job. Not for me, I don't like my arse dragging on the ground. Beautiful condition. 
I saw a gentleman studying something in the engine compartment of his beautifully restored Rover. He had the bonnet up and his hands were smeared with oil as he was fiddling with something. I asked him if there was a problem. He didn't seem interested in having a conversation so his reply was somewhat hesitant. When he realised that I was genuinely interested he opened up. 
It was a long story of how he came to buy this particular make of car. Briefly, he was a passenger in a friends car some years ago. The car came off the road in a remote area, it flipped onto the roof and he was trapped, very badly injured. His mate managed to get out and eventually flagged someone down, after several passers by refused to help saying they didn't have time. Someone did stop, and they managed to get him into the car. There was blood everywhere, he had a bad head injury. 
The stranger took him to hospital where he stayed for a month. He made it known that he wanted to pay for the cleaning of the vehicle. Luckily the driver had left an envelope at the hospital reception. He thought this may contain the drivers details. When it was time for him to leave the hospital they handed him the envelope. Inside was a piece of paper which said, Good Luck. Some time later he noticed a car for sale, the exact make and model of the one which had picked him up. He took this as an omen and bought it. The Good Samaritan had saved his life. 
Another quirky on. I like quirky. 
I asked the owner of this one if it had a hood. What does he do if it rains. He said, put a hat on. 😄
This is an Elswick Envoy. I know that because if you right click on a picture and choose 'search the web', it will throw up similar vehicles.
Old army vehicles are collectors items. 
I happened to bump into two friends from my village who were there by chance. They had been to Hull and came across some of these vehicles heading towards the bridge car park. Not being in a hurry they stopped to wander around. They asked me what car I would choose if I had unlimited money to spend. My choice, this gorgeous Mercedes. I love the way the owner has set up his table and chair and was enjoying his afternoon tea. 

Take a look at this. How cool. I have seen this set up before at other shows. 
Cute. Someones pride and joy. 

All sorts of vehicles on show. 
Years ago I nearly bought an ex army vehicle. I was hooked on going to Truck Shows and wanted something a bit eye catching. I had a look at some in a yard at Fradley near Lichfield. After some careful consideration I decided a petrol engine was not going to be a good idea. I looked at getting it changed to a diesel, but that sounded too complicated and too costly. So I abandoned that idea. I bought an old ambulance instead. 
This looks very much like a Ford Ranchero. 
I remember seeing Rovers like this one about when I was pottering around in my Bedford Viva Van. Rover was greatly admired as the cream of the crop. Only well off people could afford them. I got chatting to the owner. David from Selby has been coming to these rallies for a long time, but it is the first one he has been to with his own classic car. Fairly newish to him, he is chuffed to bits with it. We had a terrific conversation. I shall be looking out for him at the next one in 2025. 

And so, darkness was looming, time to walk back across that bridge. Heading up the steps I came across a family of five, and as I was in a good mood after an enjoyable evening, I struck up yet another conversation. We walked together to the first tower and stopped to admire the view. Then said goodbye as they turned round to go home. 
Looking back. My car is still where I parked underneath it thank goodness. 
You've seen the pictures, now watch the movie. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona
PS. I have saved photos of two cars because there is a story to tell about them. See you soon. 

2 comments:

  1. The VW bus is our favorite 😍. Car restoration is a very expensive hobby. Nice to look at and interesting to hear the stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VW's always hold their value. The campervans are much sought after.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.