Tuesday 6 April 2021

Walking through a blizzard

I went out this afternoon to make a couple more test videos with the new plastic box attached to the camera. It was freezing, and very windy. I've just checked them both. The first one was a complete failure as the gusts were whipping across the fields. The second one was just about acceptable. I was in the centre of a village so there was a little bit of shelter there, and the wind had dropped somewhat. I think there will be a limit as to how much wind the plastic box can block out. It won't work every time, and it's dependent on the direction of the wind as well. I need more practice to walk while videoing and not wobbling. 
Even though it was sunny it was cold. I'm glad I put a big jacket on, I needed the furry hood to keep my head warm. 
I came across a bus shelter which had been decorated for Easter. A nice touch I thought. 

A picture of the churchyard looking all spring like. Everything greening up nicely. 
I keep seeing these two helicopters. They come over most days, always later afternoon and always flying together in the same direction. Very strange. 
On my way back now, oh dear, it's started snowing. 
By the time I had walked along the side of the field, it was starting to turn white. That is the same tree as in the previous photo. It came down pretty heavy, and fast. 
Like walking through a blizzard. I did think I might extend the walk, but I was flippin freezing so I headed home. 
Not much further to go. By the time I landed back in the village the snow they had there had all gone. Very strange weather we are having. 

A tasty bowl of hot stew for my dinner, it warmed me up a treat. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

20 comments:

  1. Fancy you had snow today ilona.what strange changes in weather.ibwent walking today and my feet were like ice cubes.a reall chill about.a nice veggy stew sounds great I might try that tonite.lovley pictures as alwaysx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember we had snow at Easter a few years ago. Best to put bedding plants out a bit later.

      Delete
  2. When reporters etc are doing an outside broadcast they usually have a very furry grey cover on the microphone. Maybe you could try a patch of something like that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do if they have an external microphone. My microphone is in the camera.

      Delete
  3. We had strange weather here today in South Devon. Sunshine, hail, sleet and light snow all together at one time. Nothing pitched though but it felt very cold when the sun went in.
    Love your videos xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of South Devon as being a sunny place, like the Costa Brava.

      Delete
  4. I know you dont like smartphones but they do have excellent cameras and of course there are numerous apps to get rid of background noise. It would also make uploading to yoootube much more straight forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do have really good cameras, but I still won't have one.

      Delete
  5. I did mean to add, you dont need to use the phone as a phone, just hook it up to your home wifi, to upload and use the apps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want any apps. Thank you for your suggestion.

      Delete
  6. Morning Ilona! Yup we had snow here too yest.. I met up with a friend for a walk and it was baltic; but then when the sun came out for spells,it was bright and warm. Madness. gillian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very strange weather yesterday. We start with blue skies this morning. Wonder how long it will last.

      Delete
  7. Yes the weather had everything yesterday snow has stopped but still on the ground and its freezing. I had 2 squirrels in the garden this morning and they had a lovely breakfast of sun flower seeds. The squirrels were a pest when i lived in Heathrow but now we very rarely see one here so it's nice to watch them. Keep warm IIona.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈☃️☃️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to watch squirrels. Sad to see one squashed on the road.

      Delete
  8. It was just the same here in Leicester yesterday.I was mowing my Mams lawn in the early afternoon and although cold,it was sunny so not too bad.But then the white stuff started coming down...we first thought that it was blossom off next doors tree...so carried on,lol.I sat and sharpened the blades on it because it is a very old, just a push along one,then got the sandpaper to her garden shears..and still sat in it,thinking..this blossoms getting a bit thick.Suddenly,it started snowing really fast and furious!.Wind whipping it around the garden,it was so strange!.We sat at my Mams for another hour,but it wasnt easing off so we had to walk home in it.I was frozen by the time I got back!I thought that the bus shelter looked lovely and it was nice of someone to do that.I havent seen a brick bus shelter for years!.Thank you for the video yesterday.It was great to have a trip around your garden,xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. An email from Jan Davies.

    Hi Ilona
    The helicopters are Ospreys on exercise from RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk.
    The usual route is north over the Humber to the Vale of York and into the Lake District or onwards further North.
    Sometimes we see an odd one over here so it creates excitement in our household as my partner is a complete aircraft nerd!!!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to scrape the car this morning. Brrr! Love the decorated bus shelter. Am always appreciative when people take the time to do things like that. Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.