Wednesday 28 April 2021

Booking out.

 Hello. I paid a visit to the library van yesterday. This is a picture of the old van, Stan has a much newer version now. A table is outside on the pavement with plastic boxes on to deposit books returned. 

I like chatting with Stan, he has been doing this job for a long time, but I have decided that the system of someone else choosing my books for me, isn't working. A lady in the main library puts together bags of books based on which categories the reader has chosen. Stan tells me that she is overwhelmed with work. After quarantining the returns, she has to put them back on the shelves, then fill the bags up with other books to be put back on the van for collection. She must walk miles. She gets no help, it's a lot of work for one person to cover 300 readers. 
I have been getting books which I have had before, and books in which I have no interest at all. They have been placed in the bedroom for bedtime reading, or on the coffee table next to the easy chair. Most of the time I just glance at them, now I am not even getting them out of the bag. A quick peek inside is enough to tell me I won't like them. 
So I have said to Stan that I won't be needing any more books, until they change the system and I can choose them myself. At first I didn't mind this new way of doing things, it was fun to get a pick and mix bag. But now it's a chore, and not fun, and they just clutter the house. 
I said I will call round for a chin wag sometimes. We always have a great conversation, it would be sad to lose that. I missed him when he didn't come at all during the lockdown. Maybe it will get back to normal at some point. 
Thanks for popping in. Hopefully uploading a video this afternoon. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.  ilona

12 comments:

  1. I wouldn't care for someone else picking my books either. Perhaps you might do a swop with neighbours who have books they've read? It's a shame that Stan can't get a book or two off the shelf for you . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stan knows what books I like, but I suppose if he did that for one, they all might ask him to get theirs.

      Delete
  2. I take your point and completely agree hoever would it nt be worth ordering however you do it one book go and collect bring home decorate coffee table then return the week after or whatever . It would keep the libary in footfall (or whatever they call it) youd get a walk and a chat and youd be doing your bit to keep the service going take care tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan did say that for every person who drops out there are others joining for the first time. So as long as he is kept busy that's fine. It's the woman in the main building who is struggling to empty and fill the bags up again. I imagine she is doing it rather quickly in order to keep up.

      Delete
  3. I dont think that I would want someone else selecting my books for me.Although I can understand why this is and the lady must be working so hard,bless her.I havent had any library books for a long time.I have just been reading what I have,although someone had put out a load of stencil books for the taking a few weeks back so I was very happy about that!.When I was in Loughborough a couple of weeks ago,I went into the Loros shop there and the counter was made up of books,stacked brick style,with a wooden counter on top of them.It looked brilliant!So with my books,that I cant bare to part with,Im going to make a coffee table with a wooden top so that I still have my books but they are made into something useful.Its lovely that you will still go round and have a chat with Stan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stan is a friend. I will say hello to him, when I have half an hour spare.

      Delete
  4. We have several "little libraries" which individuals have set up outside their houses. Anyone can take one or donate one. When I take one I try to return it to a different location or pass them to a friend, she takes them back to a totally different spot once she is done with them too. We have managed like this all through the times our library was closed or while we have had to order books in.

    litle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are books in our Post office, inside the church. I've had a browse through there, but nothing to my liking.

      Delete
  5. The buildings in our library system are actually open again!! Hooray!! Our branch is quite close and being able to borrow again is great. All returns are boxed and quarantined for a week before going back on shelves... Curbside is still available for those who don't want to go inside ... order online and the books are brought out to one's car!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ilona, our libraries here in the states let us still order what books we want online on their website then when they are ready for pickup we can drive to the library staying in our car and they bring them to us in a bag staying 6 feet apart :) We also return them outside on a table when we our finished and the lady says they quantine them for several days. I sure do miss going to the library in my small town because I like to browse there and use their computer and chat with everyone. Love your pictures, good quality camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what books I want to take out until I actually see them. I want to read the blurb inside the cover, I want to flick through the pages and see if there is anything of interest. I only read none fiction. Looking through lists online is not for me.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.