Saturday 13 August 2011

Time spent cleaning teeth, a good investment

When I was young I hated dentists and did everything to get out of going. It was the dentist at primary school that put me off, it was awful. He set up his surgery in the old chapel next door, a dusty dark room. I remember standing there with my mouth wide open, he dabbed some horrible tasting brown liquid around my gums, then pulled a tooth out with what I thought was a pair of pliers. After that experience my mother could never get me to go again. Mind you with her fear of dentists as well she was probably glad she didn't have to take me. I didn't go for years after that, even when I had toothache, I suffered in silence untill the rotten tooth dropped out.

Then when I left home at 18 I thought I had better start acting like an adult. I went to the dentist with my friend who was having some work done, and was amazed that young children were happilly skipping through the door to get their teeth inspected. I decided if they could do it so could I, so that's when I started getting treatment.

I went to the dentist this week for a check up, it's a year since the last one. My lovely lady dentist Emma, is well pleased with me, she asked a lot of questions about how I clean my teeth, how often and what with. Then she gave me full marks for good oral hygiene and no work required. The check up cost £17, but I have no more to pay, hopefully for another year. So regulary cleaning your teeth saves you money, well worth the time and effort.



10 comments:

  1. I go regularly and have always taken my daughter since the age of 2. Last summer a family was booking in at reception, the two girls each clutching sweets and fizzy pop, were saying they had never seen a dentist before. They were 11 & 12 years old ! I dont understand why people dont taken their children when it is free !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee I often think of Pam Ayres when I go to the dentist. I agree 100% about keeping your teeth clean and in turn, your gums healthy. My dentist said far more teeth are lost through gum disease than are ever lost through decay.
    My son has been going since the age of 2, when he would sit on my lap in the dentist chair and let the dentist "count his teeth".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a reminder from my dentist for an appointment yesterday. It's been a year and I am praying that I only have to pay for the check up like you!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That is about $28 US. A checkup and cleaning would cost me over $100.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you have a cleaning ? I have one here in the u.s. every six months, done by a hygenist not the dentist - cost about 40 pounds. I had gum surgery a few years back (never again) otherwise I would have lost a couple of teeth. You dont eat a lot of rubbish that is probably why you have great teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently, gum disease is linked in some way to more general physical health. I've read before that flossing is one of the top ten habits to be adopted to keep you in tip top health.
    It sounds like you might do this already but just thought I'd mention it seeing that you're aiming to live to 100! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi loveleygrey. Yes I do floss, using a dental tape, it's slightly thicker than floss. I also get close to a magnifying mirror without my specs on, and give my teeth a good poking around with a wooden toothpick. It's where the gum meets the teeth that needs special attention. I also use two different toothbrushes, both small for children. One has pointy bristles which reaches right to the back in between the molars. I brush the whole of my mouth with a softer brush, right up into the roof.

    Hi lizzie. I didn't have a cleaning, it wasn't suggested to me and I don't think I need one. It used to be done automatically at each checkup, but now I think it is an extra, which the hygienist would do. I try and brush several times a day if I am at home, but don't always use toothpaste, just water to clear the debris out. I use the smallest amount of toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dental helth is so important. Bacteria in the gumline can cause heart problems.Flossing is the way to go!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Health..health with an a!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our newspaper today, the Houston Chronicle, said there is a link between gum disease and dementia. If that doesn't scare us into taking care of our teeth what will?!!!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.