Monday 1 August 2011

Look for a better song

Thank you all for your kind words about the walk. I dont think I have done anything amazing, yes it was quite good, and yes I am pleased with the end result, but other people are far braver than I am. Never the less I hope my little walk may have inspired some of you to have a go at your own challenges.

People have asked if I am going to do something similar again. On Friday night I would have said a definate no, but now I'm not so sure. It has got me thinking about other ideas, and other challenges. I am not prepared to sit on my backside and let life pass me by, I'll get my thinking cap on.

Did you see the film Educating Rita? Remember the scene where Rita went back to her home town to visit her parents, and met them in their local pub. She had been trying to better herself by going to university and her family didn't understand. They thought she should get married and have a family like everyone else did.

They were all singing in the pub when she got there, she sat down next to her mother and noticed a tear rolling down her cheek, her mother was crying. Rita looked around and knew this life wasn't for her, she thought, 'There's got to be a better song'. And she was right. Don't sing along with the rest of them, sing your own song, that's what I do. A very powerful film with a very important message, I love it.

Anyway, I would like to introduce you to the newest member of my family, yes this is Mayze. She came as a rescue with her four kittens. They have all been found lovely new homes, and now Mayze has asked to stay. Well what can I do. I didn't want to start again with another young cat, but.......she loves it here, and she fits in with Bugsy and Lily. I tried her outside and she came back, and she sleeps on my bed, and she loves lots of fuss.




Mayze loves to explore.


And lie in the sun outside the back door.


And sit on my knee.


So now I have three :0)


Remember Tango, an older rescue we took in a few months ago, because her owner died. Well last week a kind lady came forward to adopt her. Sue and Janet took her to the vet to get her teeth done and claws clipped because both were causing her some discomfort. Now she is fixed it has given her a new lease of life and she is settled in nicely at her new home. Lucky pussy.


And here is my lovely Bugsy lazing in the sun. My best friend.


Toodle pip.

19 comments:

  1. You know what Ilona, that line from that very film inspired me too. I decided to be different to my family and peers and returned to learning. After a lot of hard graft I obtained an honours degree with the OU. I felt dead chuffed as I paid for it all myself and did it when I was working full time. I agree with you, I wanted to sing a different song and I'm glad I followed the path I did. My path. Good on ya!!
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Twiggy, a fantastic achievement. You have every right to feel dead chuffed, and I'm sure you have a better life now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mayze - she's very like a little cat we had, very pretty. Just found your blog, like it lots,am also 62 and finding the WI is giving me loads of opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mayze is gorgeous, and so is lovely Bugsy :o)
    It's wonderful that you don't let the grass grow under your feet Ilona - more power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well they say one cat just leads to another (and another) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Mayze is just gorgeous - I'm not surprised you decided to keep her. And Bugsy is a very handsome chap too. Good on you for singing your own song, and for finishing your coast to coast walk - you're definitely an inspiration too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that people don't realise just how much walking was done, not that long ago. Our footpaths didn't just sprout up overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'There's got to be brighter songs to sing than this' is what I remember Rita's mum saying and yes it hit a cord with me too. I've always followed my own path and sometimes it's tough when people expect you to follow the traditional route of marriage then children....well done for you living your life, the way you want it, to the full!

    You are definitely not a sheep!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just checked 'better songs' meant the same to us though didn't it!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on your walk achieving it within the number of days you wanted to. Sorry not to have commented before but was away for weekend at a Steam Fair in Floorburgh.

    Love your new little cat, she's very pretty.

    Now - what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes a very powerful film, though Rita also struggled with who she was at first in the new world of learning she found. I remember that scene from the film too - heartbreaking! Gorgeous photos of the cat family, so glad Tango got a new home. And welcome to the new addition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We should all be able to dance to our own beat:) I'm so thrilled for Mayze (lovely name) that she has found a home with you, Bugsy and Lily. She is a darling cat♥ It's wonderful to hear Tango has also found a new Mummy♥ A great start to my morning, cute photos and happy news:) xxx

    PS Cheeky DH said how about doing North to South:)

    Whoops stuffed up on my first post:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey, I want to remember this post. thanks, MQ!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank Sft, The script is online at script-o-rama.com. You got me worried for a minute there, I have seen the film many times. The line is 'There must be better songs to sing than this'. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Treu, there are better songs to sing! You sang one last week LOL!

    Mayze looks very settled, what lovely eyes she has. Bugsy is lovely too. Sorry I forget who the third puss is, I'm sure he/she is lovely too!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mayze looks very comfortable there. My MIL had a tortoiseshell that seemed quite aloof with everyone else but always came to sit on my lap if I was wearing my orange/black/brown jumper. I think she maybe related to things of her own colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty creature Mayze is, she would have won me over too.

    I need a sense of 'direction' so I shall be reading your blog for ideas, thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny how 'Educating Rita' struck a chord with so many of us! All of us dancing to our own song.
    Really glad to hear about the cats!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.