Sunday 14 October 2012

Two old codgers

I've taken the day off today and been a trip down to the Midlands to visit family. Thought you wouldn't mind, nothing much happens in Blogland at the weekends anyway, it goes kinda quiet as everyone is doing family stuff on their day off. First was a visit to Sis and hubby, both were playing on their computers, ha ha, can't get away from them.
Then a visit to see these two old codgers. 
My Uncle Stan is still painting, despite the fact he hasn't got much sight left. He copied this from a photograph that someone took of him and Aunty Pat, one sunny day. They were sat out on the patio in the back garden having a snooze when a visitor called by and caught them in this unflattering position. I laughed my head off when he showed me this picture. I think it's brilliant.
He is a card my Uncle Stan, I am guaranteed to get a few laughs out of him whenever I visit. He now proudly tells everybody that he will be 90 next birthday. He mentioned this to the man who came to fit a new window recently, the man was surprised and said, 'that's amazing, and you've still got all your marbles'. Stan thought that was really funny, and it made me laugh too. He really has got all his marbles. He might have slowed up a bit in his body, but he is just as sharp as ever. As well as being related and having similar personalities, we have something else in common. He cuts his own hair, and it looks fine.
Toodle pip.

16 comments:

  1. That's a brilliant painting. He is pretty talented. :) Maybe you should ask him to paint your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he really is a good painter and doesn't look his age.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. That painting is fantastic! I really love it. Such a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see a famly resemblance!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think the position is unflattering at all. It is life as it happens. I would probably have my mouth open and be drooling. THAT would be unflattering. You resemble him. Having all your marbles is sooo important. I hope to keep all mine for a long time. Oh, I wish I could paint like that, well, I wish I could paint at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you took after your uncle in frugality and in creativity! He looks very good for his age and he is a fantastic painter. I wish I could paint like that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great painter your Uncle Stan is. My dad is called Stan.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing man! It just goes to show that you can halt the aging process somewhat if you keep active and your brain occupied. Certainly does the job for your uncle. There is hope for you, too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very talented man. I love that painting, it's full of character. Glad you had a nice day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great painting...I agree you should let Uncle Sam paint one of you too.
    Glad that you had a chance to visit family, you always leave with treasured memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As my son would say.."Respect!"

    Good for you Uncle Stan, I love your painting, I hope I am as good as you at 90.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a nice colourful painting. Very skillfully done. Can we see more of his work?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a marvel your Uncle Stan is. That picture is very well executed. It is good to see that he is still able to paint after he was so unwell that time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John, I have sent you an email. Stan will be exhibiting soon in Burton on Trent, in the library, not sure which dates, it's part of the art club exhibition of which he is a member.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ilona, What a terrific painting, got lots of character about it. The painting reminded me of the old style postcards that you can still get. Burton on Trent too far away for us to go to his exhibition, shame. Would be nice to see his other paintings. BTW, your Uncle Stan doesn't look 90. Cheers for now, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great man and a superb painter. You are blessed to have him Ilona.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.