Tuesday 1 March 2022

North and South Kelsey

A drive out and a walk in the countryside today. It was lovely. I parked at North Kelsey, a couple of miles south of Howsham, where I was on Saturday. The church at North Kelsey. I made a video of this which I will post later. Luckily it was open. 

The daffodils should be in bloom in a week or so. 

The house opposite the church.

I was heading off out of the village when I head the clippaty clopping of horses hooves. I looked behind me and saw this. Wow, that's lovely. I asked him if I could take a photo, so he stopped. Then magic happened. He asked me if I wanted a lift. I was over the moon with excitement. I thought I would have to stand up on the platform behind him, but there is a padded bit on each side to sit on. All I had to do was hold on with one hand. 
We chatted the whole time, me asking lots of questions of course. His name is Michael. He has four horses, and brings this one out every two days. He dropped me off at South Kelsey. I took this photo from the seat at the back because I thought, they're never going to believe me. What a stroke of luck that was. How kind of him to offer me a ride. Walking alone has it's advantages. I love meeting new people. 

The church at South Kelsey looks like two halves stuck together because it's built with two different kinds of stone. A woman was chopping back some bushes next to the wall at the front. She said she has a key but couldn't let me in because she didn't bring it with her. Oh well never mind. 


I like this little blue cottage. It does stand out a bit next to the other houses. I can see me living in something like this. 

This is a mystery driveway, I can't see what is at the end of it. It looks little used. 

Time to leave South Kelsey and head back to North Kelsey. Some road walking was needed as there aren't many footpaths to join up into a circular walk. Six miles walked. The dotted line is where I got the lift. 

I got back to the car just after 5pm, and arrived home just after 6pm. I feel like spring is in the air. Maybe it's time to get the car ready for camping.

Thanks to those who have checked in with their walking miles. Anyone who hasn't done so can go back to that page at any time. 

Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

17 comments:

  1. How lovely to have a carriage ride. Bet you weren't expecting that when you left home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect that.

      Delete
  2. I love these walks of yours ilona. This one takes me back to my childhood, and being taken for rides in a pony and trap, owned by a Mr. Turner, who was a customer in my parents' pub, the KH, King's Head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we ought to go back to this mode of transport.

      Delete
  3. That makes me want to get husband Doug and our horse Knight to get going and hitch knight up to the cart that we have. He rides him instead, but we have a two seater. I wonder what kind of horse that was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with different horse breeds. Yes, get your cart out, take a picnic.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful ride! What a nice man. You're lucky to live in a place with such beautiful places to walk. I like seeing your pictures.
    I'm lucky compared to a lot of people in the US Midwest. Our house is about a mile from downtown with lots of sidewalks to use. Both yesterday and today I walked to do a small errand. Saves on gasoline and I racked up 9 miles in two days! (I like to make a loop instead of just walking straight to and back) - Christina from Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done such a lot of local walking, it's nice to drive somewhere and walk in a different place.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely man and so pleased you had a nice walk/ride.
    I love the blue cottage and you never know you might decided to paint your little home.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was very nice. It was a fun experience.

      Delete
  6. What a treat to have a lift on the pony and trap. Thank you for taking us along for the ride, so to speak.

    Amanda, Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very unexpected treat. I was grinning from ear to ear.

      Delete
  7. What a treat you are very lucky. Have you watched The Village Idiot on youtube he is going round videoing all the parishes of Yorkshire somem very interesting ones to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful walk and what a wonderful surprise ride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering where you were wondering! i happend to google your name, tickled me where it says If you have an Ilona in your life be sure to treasure her, she is one of a kind. Thats sounds pretty true lol https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post caused me to remember how little deeds we do can have such an impact on others. The kindness of Michael will be long remembered. I hope each day I am able to cause someone to think "wow what a nice gesture".

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.