Monday 21 December 2020

Trapped.

 Thank goodness I am not a lorry driver now. I feel very sad to see hundreds of lorries stuck in massive queues and lorry parks in the south east. France have closed their borders. I have just seen that they will be opening them in the next few hours, but it will take a long time to clear the backlog. 

There were times when I had to sit and wait to be loaded or unloaded. I have been in and out of docks to collect containers, and waited to get on a boat to cross to Belgium and Holland. I have sat in my cab for hours waiting, sometimes overnight because there was no one to deal with my load until the next day. 

I can feel the frustrations of those drivers now trapped in their cabs, hopefully for not too long. They need toilet facilities, they need food and drinks. Some drivers who regularly do distance work will have stocked up on what they need for the journey, But others may not have planned for this and will be running out. I hope that people will come out of their houses nearby and help them out. 

My last job. Collecting and delivering containers to and from Immingham Docks. Volvo, very nice truck to drive. Like sitting in an armchair, good views all around. 

Raining today. Glad I am indoors and not sat in my cab. Thanks for popping in. Catch ya later. Toodle pip.   ilona

8 comments:

  1. Ilona, I can't imagine what it's like to be stuck in a truck for hours! Yes, food, a bathroom - very needed. If I lived anywhere near something like this, I'd offer up our home and food to assist. Drivers are saving us all, now more so than any time. Every time we hit the button "place order" on Amazon, we are employing a driver, somewhere, and how very grateful I am to them all. It makes me feel so good to see you next to your truck, so teeny tiny but so mighty! Thank you for your inspiration to us all, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to drive me nuts to have to wait, when I wanted to get on with the job. I had a little TV set to keep me occupied if I was held up.

      Delete
  2. Its dreadful what's happening and once again the innocent are caught up in this. I hope the queues move soon and the drivers manage to get home for Christmas. I'm a retired immigration officer and have every respect for Lorry Drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Karla. Trucks are our lifeline now and always - even before COVID. I hope anyone who can help will. Love your blog. It's like visiting with a good friend . Beautiful day today. I can see a nice walk for me later this afternoon. Best wishes from Arkansas, USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, best wishes from North Lincolnshire, UK.

      Delete
  4. Poor lorry drivers and the papers concentrate on possible shortages of lettuce.

    No loos, somewhere to wash and away from their homes. I hope a resolution is soon found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely photo of you with the lorry Ilona.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.