Friday 8 July 2022

1975 Trucking

I came across this video, it appeared on my screen, like they do. Someone somewhere must know that I used to be a lorry driver. 😜😃😎😲 Clever eh!
Heather got her HGV licence in 1975, a year before I got mine. Here she is roping and sheeting a loaded trailer, and I am proud to say I can do that. I did it many times and could still do it now. I recognise the lorry she is driving. My goodness, they were pigs to manoeuvre, no power steering. Cabs that were like metal boxes with a noisy engine in the middle between the seats. Every little bump in the road vibrating through the floor. Terrible mirrors that were useless when reversing. Changing gear was like stirring a stick through a box of loose nuts and bolts. Double de-clutch helped a bit. 
Leyland trucks got left behind, they couldn't keep up with the likes of Volvo, Scania, and Mercedes. They were taken over for a while by Daf trucks from Holland, and were called Leyland Daf. Eventually the name Leyland was dropped. 
I've just filled the car up, £73, jeez. 
Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona 

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful! What an amazing job and a highly skilled job indeed. I love videos from the archives. Makes me rather sentimental sometimes. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to look back at the 50's, 60's, and 70's. They were good times.

      Delete
  2. Becky from Toronto8 July 2022 at 17:34

    Isn’t it wonderful how much has changed in all these years. The presenters patronizing tone was particularly galling.

    I am now retired but my working life was in a male dominated environment. I think Toronto might have been a bit more enlightened than the UK was back in the mid 70s. Good lord a woman can drive!

    Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all those questions asked of me when I was on the tele. They have to sensationalise everything and turn it into a drama.

      Delete
  3. The reason "someone somewhere must know that I used to be a lorry driver" is because google tracks you with cookies so knows exactly what you've been watching. It means you are more likely to stick around watching more videos due to their algorithm, and therefore makes them more money.

    Quite ironic given how much you hate big global companies like google (which you are helping to fund..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't get the joke then. Quite ironic how dim you are.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed the video and particularly the roping and sheeting - this must have been a real skill to learn and I imagine some of the knot techniques are similar to ones used when tying up a narrowboat.
    It would cost around £100 to fill my car although I never let it get to empty now as I top up whenever I see fuel that’s slightly cheaper.The boat runs on red diesel. It’s a good thing I can manage on a shoestring budget and have some savings so I can still get out. Others will effectively be locked down which of course is what the government wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit of cash put by for my travels. They won't stop me going anywhere. Yes, people are going to find it hard. As you say, that is the plan, to bully them into compliance.

      Delete
  5. i can remember these days a little to well i remember when Rita Yule was the only lady lorry driver in Brigg my dad was terrified of her...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Rita. She was featured in a trucking magazine.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.