Friday 18 November 2022

In town today

I went to town this afternoon because I was bored. Picked up some shopping from Aldi. One of the ladies in there commented that she doesn't usually see me in the daytime. I said no, too many people, let me out. 😁 I am feeling a bit braver now. Ducking and diving, still trying to avoid close contact with people. 
I went to the bank to get some cash out, just for a change. There was a notice saying no counter service available. There was a staff member floating about, I asked her about the notice. She said they close the counter in the afternoons. No point in anyone sitting there waiting for customers because everyone banks online now. The counter staff go upstairs and continue their duties on the phone lines. 
I had a look in the Arts Centre. There is a new exhibition. I didn't understand what it was about. The young lady who works there was painting a wall. She said, the exhibition is about women's menopause. I said, no wonder I didn't understand it, I never noticed mine. 😕 
I drove to the other side of town and went to Go Outdoors. They send me a catalogue and it looked like they have some bargains on offer for Black Friday. I bought another pair of cycling shorts, the ones with a padded bum. Why do I need another pair you may ask. I was talking to a friend about cycling, and she recommended I wear two pairs for double padding. I have yet to try it. Maybe the next non windy day. 
I did a quick two mile walk tonight around the village. Two houses have already got their Christmas lights up. 
This is a video I made on Wednesday. 
Have a good weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona

16 comments:

  1. So what happens if someone enters the bank in the afternoon and needs some kind of service? That’s interesting. That hasn’t happened here in NC… yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several automated tills with touch screens. If you don't know how to use them, she will help. Or make an appointment if you want a personalised service.

      Delete
  2. "Ducking and diving, still trying to avoid close contact with people. "

    Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Risk assessment. Don't want to catch anything.

      Delete
  3. Isn’t it amazing how things are becoming more and more automated. I had a coworker yesterday say Terry Bradshaw (retired famous football personality in the US) had asked on twitter if anyone could help him get in contact with an actual person from UPS. 🤣🤣 He said his delivers are all messed up and every phone call he ends up an automated phone message and ends up going around in a loop never getting to talk to a actual person. lol Things are just getting worse and worse. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have people all the time asking on the village face book page, who is our delivery person, because parcels have been left at the wrong address. As you say, they can't get through on the phone to the office. One of the reasons why I don't shop online.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I know how he feels with UPS. They are a freaking nightmare, can't pay an invoice in the physical store, set up an account, well that's a nightmare that leads you in circles!

      Delete
  4. My post-COVID experience is that, of all the financial institutions that I have had dealings with, the Post Office is the only one to reliably have real live counter service available all day every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope we can continue to rely on the Post Office. I use our little pop up one in the Church. He comes three times a week. He gets paid a small amount for each transaction he processes. He has a shop and P O five miles away. Use it or lose it.

      Delete
  5. The only time I use money is when I am somewhere without a mobile signal and so have to pay by cash - for example a craft fair.

    The idea of withdrawing cash only to hand it over again to pay a bill is quite amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect you to understand my logic. Each transaction at my pop up Post Office earns them a few pennies. Multiply that by however many customers they serve over a month and it is a sizeable amount of income they get from the Post Office. They are a small business with a shop. No customers means they go out of business. I also get a receipt which says I paid with cash, so that transaction doesn't go through my bank account. The fewer entries I get on my statement makes it easy to check.

      Delete
    2. I think Roy is a bit rude.

      Delete
  6. Recenty I' m using cash because I was spending too easily with the card - which is now only mainly used at the vets - and I think you look very smart wearing your nice scarf Ilona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you flis. The scarf was given to me by a friend. Although quite flimsy it is very warm.

      Delete
  7. The menopause lol. Never noticed mine either. The monthlies just stopped thankfully 😅 clayre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine just got less frequent over about ten years.

      Delete