Sunday 6 November 2022

New life on the seashore

Just along the Lincolnshire coast a few miles north of Mablethorpe is Donna Nook. At this time of the year hundreds of seals come onto the beach to give birth. The invasion starts at the end of October and goes on until the end of December. I was a little early so there wasn't a lot to see. According to the weekly seal update there are now 124 cows and 53 bulls. There are 47 pups but only about 11 are visible from the viewing area. You can see the numbers increasing if you check the weekly seal pupdate here.  
I got a few photos but had to zoom in to get them. The distance from the sea to the shore is quite a long way. The noise the seals were making as they waited was eerie. An almost human like wailing. I found it quite upsetting. 

This pup was a bit closer but hidden among the grasses. 




A ship on the horizon. 


I made a short video. Please excuse the shaking of the camera. Using such a long zoom it is difficult to keep it steady. 
If you want to see more seals, take a look at my post for December 9th 2009. You will see that the beach is full of them. It's a fantastic sight if you are able to go. You could combine it with the Louth Christmas Market which is on the 27th November. This is an event worth going to. 
That's the end of my mini break. I've got a couple more days out lined up for this month. 
Thanks for popping in. we'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona 

4 comments:

  1. Aww, beautiful ☺ we were supposed to go to Seahouses before Ady got diagnosed with terminal cancer and we cancelled because of Chemo date's. In hindsight I wish we had just gone knowing how much he was looking forward to it 😩 I have a question for you. Knowledgeable about vehicles as you are. I'm going to try to sell Ady's old car which I've sorn before the wheels go square. Autopia trader or we buy any car? Any advice would be appreciated. Clayre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long time ago since I actually sold a car. I usually hand them over to the garage I am buying a new to me updated version from. Saves a lot of hassle. I believe we buy any car offers peanuts.

      Delete
  2. Quick question are the paths suitable for himself and his wheels ? we are going to mablethorpe next week for a trip out im told

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean the paths at Donna Nook, I would say no not suitable. Easy to drive to the car park. From there you have to climb up steep and wide steps made from wood, over the sand hills. The steps look quite new, before it was a scramble over the sand. I didn't see any slopes which would be suitable for wheels. They try to encourage all visitors to use the official car park because in the past people have been leaving their cars anywhere and clogging up the roads.
      If you mean Mablethorpe, the promenade is accessible to all users.

      Delete