Wednesday 9 November 2022

Searching for cat food

I put my meter readings in today to BritGas. They send me an email to ask for them. Straight away they calculate what I have to pay. A paper version will arrive by snail mail, then I pay them. I was expecting the worst, according to the horror stories I have heard from neighbours and friends. I don't know anyone else who pays quarterly like I do. They are all saying their monthly direct debits have rocketed. I looked at the screen in disbelief. The amount they quoted was very low. Really, exclamation mark, is that all? Chuffing heck. 
I went to the retail park this afternoon to stock up on cat food. Home Bargains is full of Christmas paraphernalia at the moment, which greatly reduces shelf space for other things. I don't know if it is lack of space, or the fact that cat food is in short supply, but there wasn't much choice. I walked over to The Range, another big store, to see if they had anything I could top up with. I only buy the cat food every 8 - 10 weeks, don't want to have to go more often if they don't have what I need. I got an extra box of 40 pouches from The Range. That should see me though till next time. 
I noticed that a new store is to open on Friday. They have taken over the old Poundland store. Now I thought Barnardo's is a charity. Looking through the windows the whole place has been filled with new fixtures and fittings, and stock is appearing on the shelves. 
It doesn't look like a charity shop to me. All the lights are on which must be costing a fortune, and from what I can see a lot of the stock is new. There are several aisles of Christmas decorations for sale. I don't think that is donated stock. There is a notice on the door asking for volunteers to work in the shop, which I think is a bit of a cheek. Why would anybody volunteer when there are vacancies in other shops in the run up to Christmas, which pay a wage.   
I caught the sunset on the drive home. Lovely. 
I've had a root in my box of bits and found two broken watches. I might be able to use one of the straps for the broken one. 

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona 

8 comments:

  1. We pay our electric bill quaterly with british gas, I pay so much a week then when the bill comes not much to pay, the last one was £212, next one due in January, the £66 a month is helping, we had a letter from british gas, not an actual voucher, apparently the letter is the voucher, just go to the post office, show some ID and get £66 cash, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a proper charity store. Bernardo’s have opened a few superstores around the country. A wonderful charity which is why I happily volunteer my time. I am fortunate in that I don’t need to work and so am happy to volunteer my time to help out others less well off. Charity stores are also great places for youngsters to “build their resumes”. I don’t think it is a bit of a cheek at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pay quarterly with British Gas. Today I got an electricity bill after I gave the readings and they have deducted 2 lots of £66 for both Oct and Nov which has now put us in a bit of credit. Not sure if the gas part is being sent separately, it is a bit confusing as its usually all on one bill.
    B&M has a fair amount of catfood in, or it did have the last time I visited.
    Elaine (Oldham)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason for my bill (when it comes) is a bit low because they have deducted the £66 x 3. I'm hoping that's the reason anyway.

      Delete
  4. Good to see you gas bill is still low. I think it’s about trying to use less and I’m more than happy to wear extra layers instead of putting the heating on. It’s not been particularly cold anyway.
    There’s a Barnardo’s shop near me. They do have some new items but it’s mostly donated stuff. I’ve got some real bargains - absolutely no need to buy new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also pay quarterly, after a set-to with British Gas about 12 years ago when they wrote saying they were going to double our monthly direct debit. We told them our account was always in credit (we had a stove in the last house) and we couldn't afford this new monthly amount but they wouldn't back down. Eventually they said we could pay quarterly for what we actually used. However, the penalty is a higher standing charge and unit rate. Does anyone know if I could pay monthly for my usage only, and get a lower standing charge and unit rate?

    Amanda, Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again, the charity shops receive a lot of new stock donations from retailers clearing out end of line stuff. At the shop I worked at we received two pallets of new Christmas decorations from a well-known retailer - the only problem was we got them in January and had to store them for a year!!

    Always enjoy your blog, thank you.

    Amanda, Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the Christmas decs I saw have been stored for a long time.

      Delete