Saturday 5 November 2022

Mablethorpe Promenade

After breakfast I said goodbye to Carol, she was going to a funeral. We thought we might be able to meet up after that, but as she didn't know what time it would finish it was going to be difficult to co ordinate times and places. It would have wasted too much time. She had a four hour journey to go home and didn't want to be back too late. 
I went off to Mablethorpe to have a mooch along the Promenade. There weren't many people about, mostly they were dog walkers. Dogs are allowed to run about on the beach out of season after September. Here are the rules of what you can and can't do. 
Rows and rows of empty beach huts. Some of them looked tidier than others. No doubt they will get spruced up before the new season starts.  


I came across one hut that had been opened up. A group of people were sitting around, inside and outside the open doors, chatting, drinking tea, and eating cake. It made me smile. I said what a good idea it was for the friends to meet there. I was invited to join them. There was a spare chair so I parked my bum. They said they were the Sally Army and they couldn't use their usual facilities, so they had decamped to the Promenade. It was all very jolly. I stayed for half an hour and moved on. 
The children's playground is empty. Too cold. 
The Fairground is empty. 

The beach was a big empty space. Nothing much to take a photo of here. I watched a man with an expensive camera set up on a tripod. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked him what he was photographing. He showed me what he had taken pictures of. They were surreal. There was a pole sticking out which appeared to be hovering above the water. He said he uses filters and gives the photo's a long exposure. Too complicated for me. He was waiting for the tide to come in. He wanted a picture of that row of edging stones on the beach half submerged. He was there ages after I carried on walking. I was half tempted to go back and ask him if he had got the shot he wanted. I didn't have time. 
Picture of a character on the Crazy Golf circuit.
And a close up. 
Further along the beach I came across a garden gnome display. How cute. 
I was in need of a pee and the toilets I passed were closed for the winter. Nothing for it but to go into an amusement arcade. It was massive. I wonder how much their electricity bills are now. There was a barrier across the Ladies door. Sorry, gotta go, a quick nip in the Gents. 
Those Beach Huts have a door at both ends. One overlooking the beach, and one overlooking the playground. That's a good idea. Watch your kids while you sit outside with a gin and tonic. The swan pedalo's are not moving. Perhaps they will open at the weekend. 
It was time to move on. One last place to visit before I go home. Thanks for popping in. Have a nice weekend. It's raining here at the moment. Toodle pip.   ilona 

15 comments:

  1. I like the cheery colors of the beach huts and all those gnomes. The swan pedal boats are fun, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone gives the gnomes a lick of paint before the spring season starts.

      Delete
  2. Those huts are so cute. Dreary rain here in my part of the US. We set our clocks back tonight. Winter season is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl after my own heart Ilona, I've often nipped in the gents when the ladies have been closed 😆 used to be Ady keeping an eye out for me. When you got to go you got to go. Clayre x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to do it a lot when I was driving. Never enough facilities for women

      Delete
  4. How colorful and wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lots of colour is very uplifting to the soul.

      Delete
  5. Your beach huts are fascinating to me as we simply don't have anything like that here. Walking along a deserted beach is an activity I love when I get the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those little huts. If I lived at the seaside I would get one, and sit in it for an hour or two every week, throughout the year.

      Delete
    2. Beach huts are uniquely british.

      Sandy.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes you can book a beach hut for a day, that comes with a car parking space. I have done this in Hunstanton, it meant I could take my elderly parents and they could sit and watch the world go by, with a cup of tea, whilst I could walk around and do other things.
    I'm interested to see where your last visit was. We visited the same area in summer and also went to Louth and Mablethorpe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least twice I recall I've used the gents without realising until I saw a man near the doorway - I remember thinking at the time " silly billy- what' s he doing here?"-The sign on the doors confuses me because I do wear trousers x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some funny looks when I marched into the gents at Truckstops. I put my head down and dashed into a cubicle. Never had any complaints.

      Delete