Friday 4 November 2022

Stairway to heaven at Louth

Hello. I was in Louth in Lincolnshire on Wednesday. It's a lovely market town, I like it there. St James's Church has a very tall spire. I have been here before. Here is a blog post from April 2013. Crikey, was it that long ago. There is a video on that post of the inside of the church. The photo's I took then are very similar to those I took this time. 

A reflection of the ceiling in a strategically placed mirror. 





Photo added. 
I had a cup of coffee and a chat with the lady who volunteers there. I asked her if I had time to go up the tower. She said yes, so I paid the £2.50 and she unlocked the door. I remembered the drill from the last time I went up there. You get locked in, ring the bell when you come back down and want to be let out. This time I started filming the ascent when I was about halfway up. You can come with me if you like. 
A few still photographs I took while I was up there. Oh boy was it windy. Great views. 





The entrance to the Rectory which was next door to the Church. 
View of the Rectory while standing at the front door of the Church. 
A couple more buildings in the town. 

It was starting to get dark so I left Louth and went to Alford, where I met Carol at the hotel. She had arrived about half an hour before I did. We had a smashing night catching up on all our news. 
There will be more pictures of this mini break tomorrow. A walk along Mablethorpe beach next. 
thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

22 comments:

  1. You climbing those steps is amazing!! I don’t know how you did it lol very narrow round and round…light headed lol The views and video are both wonderful!!!! Thanks for taking us along mother!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My right shoulder was wedged up against the centre column. One step at a time.

      Delete
  2. Stunning views from the top of that tower - but I don't think those or the climb up there would do much for my vertigo! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind heights if I am on a roller coaster. I feel safe strapped in. But standing on an open platform in the wind is a bit hairy.

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely church with its tall spire, stained glass window and the tower to climb. Those stairs look narrow and good thing there was the rope to hold onto, nice video and view from the top of the tower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures of the church are stunning Ilona. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautiful photographs, Ilona. The first photo is striking, so I can only imagine how affecting it'd be to actually stand there. The houses look as miniatures next to the cathedral. The altar cloth is gorgeous and I bet you paid it close attention. I'm glad you're enjoying your trip at this lovely time of year. Joanne, West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look closely at the cloth. I thought I could make one similar.

      Delete
  6. Does this church still hold services? It’s amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do. You can watch the services on their Facebook page.
      https://www.facebook.com/louthchurch/live/

      Delete
    2. There is a list of future services in their Newsletter.
      https://www.teamparishoflouth.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/newsletter.pdf

      Delete
  7. (Romans838) Ilona, I am fascinated with the altar cloth. I zoomed in on it and one can see the embellishments on the leaves that look as if they could turn color. Whoever stitched it must have devoted many hours to it. I've been daydreaming lately about a big project, and I don't know how the cloth was put together and I'm not an accomplished seamstress, but I might give it a try on a smaller scale, a wall hanging. Thank you again. I wouldn't have seen that altar cloth but for your photos. Joanne, West Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have added another photo. There is a smaller version of the tree. Perhaps you could try that.

      Delete
    2. (Romans838) Thank you for the smaller photo. I'm gathering my materials, and I feel excited about making it. I found a sweet Cardinal bird pattern to stitch, too. I picture the Cardinal peeping out amongst the leaves.

      Delete
  8. Lovely photo's from Louth, a favourite place of ours and the video too. I've never been up the tower of St. James's Church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to look forward to when you next go there.

      Delete
  9. Oh I just loved your video going up the narrow staircase and the view from the top! So wonderful to see and hear your adventure, thank you. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity it was so windy. A blue sky with fluffy clouds would have made the pics a whole lot better.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful video! Thank you so much for taking the time to video and post!

    ReplyDelete