Thursday 12 November 2020

Learning the ropes.

 Hello. Did you like JP, he's a hoot isn't he. A very funny man if you like a bit of micky taking. 

I've found some videos about making rope out of strips of fabric, so that's what I am playing with at the moment. I've got some remnants of bed sheets and duvet covers which I previously used for pet beds, so I am cutting them up. There is a method of twisting two strips and making them into rope, which can then be used for making coasters, place mats, bowls, and even floor mats if you have the patience. 

The twisting can be done while watching a screen or listening to the radio. The strips are one inch wide, I might try it with wider strips to make thicker rope. I will keep going, it's a learning curve. 


Tonight I made a pan of stew. I added some Quorn pieces to the vegetables, and then thickened it with some broccoli and stilton cheese soup mix. It is lovely.
It's been a lovely day, plenty of sunshine so I did my three mile walk around the village, then took Billy a walk. I've opened a bottle of vintage cider tonight.

Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.  ilona

5 comments:

  1. Those soup mixes are always handy to have in.Ive got quite a few boxes of cuppa soups and use them to flavour pasta.I also use them for seasoning on Hubbys meat when Im cooking it.It goes alot further than those little jars of spices and cheaper to!.Enjoy your cider!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently got a kitty from an area shelter. She had a braided cloth rope toy that they sent with her. It's about 3 feet long and she loves to drag it around and fight with it. Your twisted rope looks similar, but ours is definitely braided, not twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought to thicken a stew with soup mix such a great tip, thank you for sharing. I will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like JP as well! As for making rope out of old fabric, I shall be having a go at that....I did plait strips of fabric with the intention of making a mat but I had to sew the plaits together so that idea went out of the window because the mat was getting too heavy to handle. Good idea about soup mix to thicken stews..... we use cans of soup and they tend to make the soup even more watery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Essentially it's plying the strips together. I think a braid would be stronger, if strength was needed. But thanks for this, it's given me an idea for using up one of the waste products from the things I like to make!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.