Wednesday 28 December 2022

The waiting game.

 The bit between Christmas and New Year is a dead zone. It's when most of the hullabaloo is over, people are recovering, and waiting for one more final splurge on New Years Eve. There isn't much to do this week. Who knows which places are open, and which have closed for the whole two week holiday. I suppose the big shops will be open, but I am sick of shopping, and there is nothing I need. 

It's raining so I don't feel inclined to go out, unless it stops. I look out of the window and there are hardly any people about. All staying at home. This rain does rather put the dampeners on things. I am waiting for one nice day to finish off the 1000 mile walk. 

There will be a change to next years walking challenge. I think it's important to set a target because it is something to aim for. I've been playing with numbers. 1000 miles is certainly doable for another year for me, but do I want to stick with that number? I am playing with the idea of lowering it slightly, from 84 a month to 75 a month, making a total of 900 miles. Still quite a lot, but if I go any lower I know I will become lazy and think I won't bother today. That will lead to too many days off and then I might go super lazy and start lagging behind, and never catch up. That is not good. 

Setting a target needs to be a number that you have a chance of achieving. It needs to be realistic, but not overwhelming. The idea is that it can be sustained over a long period of time. Stopping and starting on a whim will not have the same benefits health wise. 

Even not so healthy people who set a lower target but then stick with it over a long period of time will feel the benefits. So if you fall into that category, do little and often, and make yourself do it when you don't feel motivated. 

After seven years I still need a target, but I also like to divide my time up to do other things. None of us knows how much longer we have, so to have some sort of plan in place, I think, gives us some purpose in life. 

One change that I have thought about is that I won't be asking the Walking Group to check in on the first of the month. It is up to each member to take responsibility for their own health, and keep their own records up to date on a calendar or diary. Because it starts on the first day of January people are often planning their New Year Resolutions. And as we all know people start with good intentions, but some will fall by the wayside. Like any other resolution, starting a weight loss diet, giving up smoking, cutting down on alcohol, becoming vegetarian, etc, many will fail in the first few months. A lot of discipline is needed to carry something on throughout the whole year. 

It's time for lunch. A plate of stew I made yesterday. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

4 comments:

  1. You are so right as far as the discipline is concerned over a full year.I start off great with all my intentions...but then something will come along that changes things.Where as I was able to walk for maybe 5/6 miles a day now that seems impossible due to having family commitments that take up a lot of my days.3/4 miles is only an hour so I an promising my self to do that...for my own mental health as well.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have to keep making plans, having things to look forward to and keep our minds sharp. New Year, fresh start!!! ๐Ÿฅณ Happy New Year!!! I look forward to continue reading and watching your adventures. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š♥️

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.