Tuesday 12 December 2023

Contracts

 Martin Lewis says. . . . . . . . . . 

Mid contract price hikes on broadband & mobile:

Ofcom just announced a proposal "to introduce a new rule requiring that any price written into a customer’s contract would need to be set out in pounds and pence, prominently and transparently, at the point of sale."

This is a definite improvement, though based on this proposal I'll be asking it to consider changing it so the rise should always be the "lower of CPI inflation or a fixed pounds and pence smount" so the rises can never be above inflation. Clearly another option is ban mid-contract rises (though that may inflate the initial contract price) but I'm guessing its decided against that, so tweaking what it proposes is the most likely influencing point

I won't have a mobile phone contract. Pay as you go suits me, top up when the credit gets low. Only need it for texts and phone calls. My home broadband is tied in with my landline.  

Video coming later. Toodle pip.   ilona

9 comments:

  1. I tried to cancel my BT landline earlier this year but it would have cancelled my broadband with a different provider too. My broadband provider then tied me into a new 18 month contract so goodness knows what will happen when BT get rid of landlines which they plan to do. I'm the same as you and use a pay as you go mobile phone which suits me fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am leaving things as they are. I know I could get a cheaper deal, but while everything is still working fine, no disruptions, I will stay where I am.

      Delete
  2. Same here - we are both on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read up on what Martin Lewis is saying, then make my own mind up.

      Delete
  3. I often change provider or phone up my current provider and say I will switch unless they give me a better deal.

    As for a landline, I gave up on that nine years ago - no point in paying extra for something that is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice if Ofcom did a proper job of standing up for the rights of the consumer. After all, if any of us decided half-way through a contract to reduce the price we paid I have no doubt that the service would be terminated and the matter passed to a debt collection agency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when you sign the contract it is pretty clear that the price might go up during the time of the contract. It is so important to read the small print. As Ilona always says do your research

      Delete
    2. I agree and I always do a lot of research before committing myself to anything, but I do think that contracts are heavily weighted in favour of the provider. I would like to see Ofcom insist on clauses giving the customer the right to opt out of the contract without penalty if the price is put up part-way through. Too many people are taken for a ride and are unable to terminate a contract which no longer works for them.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Tesco. Their contract price always stays the same. That's why I like them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.