Tuesday 5 December 2023

Another lie.

 My bank has just announced that they will be closing our Scunthorpe branch in April 2024. Over the last few years they have been installing computers in the wall, and serve yourself cash machines. Staff numbers have been reduced  and they expect everyone to sort themselves out once they step inside the door.  

It's been a while since I have been in there. They made it perfectly clear that they don't want customers to come inside and bother the staff. On the odd occasion I have needed to conduct my business over the counter, I have been quizzed by the one floating member of staff, and when I explained what I wanted to do, I have been steered towards the automatic hole in the wall.  

I hesitate and say, I don't know how to do that. The member of staff then has to make the transaction for me while I watch. The only thing I have to do is key in my pin number. I stand back and let them get on with it. They hand me a print out slip of paper. 

Then the plandemic reared it's ugly head and I dreaded going to the bank because they only allowed one person in at a time. Those waiting had to queue all the way down the High Street. What a fiasco that was. At that point I started visiting my local Post Office to withdraw cash from my account. That has worked well for me. 

A news article has caught my attention. In the Yorkshire Post the headline says, 'It is a lie to claim that demand for in-person banking services is in decline'. The writer, Andrew Vine, bemoans the fact that his local Halifax branch shuts next month on the grounds that customer demand is falling. 

Quote from the article. . . . . 

We’re being fed an untruth by the banking industry that demand for in-person services is in decline, when the evidence of our own eyes tells us different. What’s happening is less to do with declining demand than a determination by the banks to cut the costs of staffing and maintaining branches by forcing customers online. But it’s part of the vicious circle that the banks are creating in order to massacre the branch network.

He is exactly right.  Closing banks and building societies is part of a long term plan to move everybody over to Central Bank Digital Currency. People think it's wonderful to be able to conduct all their financial business on their hand held smart phone. This addiction to their gadget will cost them dearly when CBDC comes in. Computer fraud and stolen identities, are already making life difficult for those who's bank account is plundered and the account drops into the red.  

I will continue with my method of spending cash as often as I can. It gives me peace of mind. 

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona 

8 comments:

  1. I use cash whenever I can, including larger payments to my handyman, etc. It is good to keep cash in use. Everything in your post is correct, there is wide spread closing of bank branches in the USA too, and yes, there is a big demand for these branches and getting help from real people, so that is a lie from the banks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the Christmas Fair on Saturday a woman asked where she might get some cash out of a machine because she only had her card. We told her she would have to drive to the next village. People need to get organised and plan their spending in advance.

      Delete
  2. Full marks to Nationwide, whose latest advert stresses that they are NOT closing branches, whilst parodying the arrogance and greed of their competitors. I don't bank with them, but worked for them many years ago and know that they took great pride in the fact that they were owned by their customers and worked FOR them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good place to bank with. Thanks for the tip off.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree. Online banking fraud is so easy and fraudsters are so slick.. I had one call me saying someone was trying to move a large sum of money from my account and they thought it was fraudulent they knew so much about me and m account but wanted sensitive data to verify (just 5ge info to actually fleece me dry), I told them thank you for letting me know I will drive to my local branch now and discuss 8n person. I felt sorry for the chap on the phone as he tried everything to convince me that if it wasn’t sorted in 2 mins I’d lose my life savings. I laughed told me I’d take my chances and hung up. Of course it was a complete scam but I am lucky I still have a branch but when they’ve all gone how on earth do you know who 9n the phone / internet is legitimate. They are so cunning and skilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep getting similar calls. They say they have spotted some unusual activity on my credit card account. I don't have a credit card.

      Delete
  4. Lloyds Bank is closing its branch in my local market town leaving the town without any bank except for a hub. How many days a week the hub will be open is any one's guess. Lloyds say in one particular one year period not many people used the branch. However at one point the branch was closed due to "staff shortage" for three weeks and also for other periods of time, again for "staff shortages". No wonder customer numbers were down. Lloyds Bank keeps contacting me asking me if I want to insure both my home and car with them. I am gearing myself to write a strong letter to both the Chairman and CEO, asking why they think I want to insure with them as they have removed its branch. Details are available on the internet of all the names of their board of directors.. I heard recently that HMRC want to obtain the facility to access details of our bank account to ensure we are all receiving the correct benefits and, of course, those of us it thinks are defrauding the country. A very frustrated Portia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very frustrating when banks don't listen to their customers. You describe exactly where all this is leading, but people close their eyes and ears to it, and blindly carry on as if it's normal to allow anyone access to their personal details.

      Delete

Comments may not be published