Wednesday 13 December 2023

Cutting services.

I went to town this afternoon. Needed to do some shopping at Aldi. Called in at the arts centre. Not much going on there. The main exhibition hall was closed because the church is covered in scaffolding. They are doing a big renovation project. 
I went to the bank to withdraw some cash. I mentioned that they will be closing this branch early next year. They have two notice boards giving information about where customers can do their banking.  Barton is about 15 miles away. 
Morrisons is 2 miles away. Both have limited service. I am grateful that we have a pop up Post Office three mornings a week here in the village where I can withdraw cash. I hope that continues. 

Over the years we have always had a new calendar with the collection dates, posted through the door. It comes in October. This time we haven't had one. I went to the library today to get one. The woman on the desk wanted my post code and house number. She looked on the computer and printed a copy off for me. I asked her if I could have some more, to put in the Post Office, so other people wouldn't have to go to town. She said no, she couldn't do that. One copy per person only.

It seems there are a lot of Councils cutting back on their spending. I read that Nottingham and Birmingham Councils don't have any money left. A lot of services are going to be cut. I don't suppose they will be filling any potholes in on the roads. We must learn to drive around them. The grass won't get cut, and the drains wont get unblocked so we can look forward to more flooding. 
Toodle pip. ilona.  

7 comments:

  1. It is the same around here. Less service everywhere, but higher costs and taxes. Now the constitutional court has decided that the federal budget was against the law, our government has to decide where to save money - or get more. I am so glad that at least one party is strictly against higher taxes, but I am not sure wether they will be successful.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilde. I think we are all going through the same emotional turmoil. The whole of Europe is in a mess, and it's not because we left the EU. I feel for the younger people who have to navigate their way through this almighty mess.

      Delete
  2. hi Ilona, this is happening all over, isn't it? My husband's bank is now in the Post Office in town. The queue was out of the doors yesterday. For a long time now if I need to post a letter he will print off a label for me.We don't have a p.o. near but we have a post box across the street which is handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of the big plan, Caz. They aim to make life more difficult for us, in the hope that we all stay indoors, shut up, and don't derail their master plan to take complete control.

      Delete
  3. Debi from Leicester.I have noticed that a lot the big shops ask if you want your receipt when you had paid.I always say yes.They tell you its to cut down on paper,but to my mind it is because once you have handed your cash over,if any thing is faulty then you cant take it back!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debi. I was asked for my email address recently, when I bought a bath mat from Dunelm. I was very polite when I replied, no way. They are on a mission to boost their customer data base. My purchase was a one off. I may never go there again.

      Delete
  4. My bank has been closed for almost a month 'for refurbishment ' it says on the door. I wonder if it will actually reopen? My husband paid a cheque into my account at the Post Office and it took six working days to appear in my account. I don't think they like you using cheques anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.