Saturday 14 August 2021

Art emerging from trash.

At last. Photo's from my visit to 20 21 Arts Centre in Scunthorpe, last month. This post is picture heavy, so many good shots to choose from. How to make art out of an old lorry. The artist is Dan Rawlings, and the exhibition is on until the 25th of September 2021. More information here.  Definitely worth a look if you are in the area, or even make a day out of it. 
With me having a special interest in all things transport, I loved seeing this lorry stripped to it's bare bones and emerge as a piece of art. The church setting compliments the connection with the historic building, and the deterioration and destruction of the modern industrial world. The planet will run out of oil one day, but the building should be solid for many more years. 
The gallery assistant flicked a switch and the exhibit was engulfed in smoke. A nice atmospheric touch to it. 






The interior has been stripped of it's soft furnishings. 






I wanted to climb the ladder, as I have done many times before on the tankers that I have driven, but the assistant said no can do. Would have been some good shots from above. 
This strong, sturdy, and heavy tanker has been reduced to what resembles a piece of lace curtain. The tree design is just perfect for the tunnel shape. Almost like walking through a wood with over hanging branches. 


Some of the smaller objects which compliment the main exhibit. 





There is a video running the whole time. 
Here is the artist, Dan Rawlings, speaking about his work. Have a look at his web site, lots of examples of his other work on there. 
And if you are in Scunthorpe, look for this building in Church Square. Can't miss it, close to the bus station and the market. If you click on a picture you will get a full screen slide show come up. 

Right, I have plenty to do so I'll bid you farewell for today. I might have the weekend off, so I'll catch you when I catch you. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

5 comments:

  1. Very thought-provoking ilona ,very TRue
    Beautiful photography meanqueen very good idea having this in the building 👍💯💕.
    HAPPy Saturday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have had some amazing exhibitions here over the years.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting photos and it certainly looked a different kind of exhibit that you would see in a church.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more churches followed suit and used their buildings for different purposes.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant!.I would love to see that.What a great talent to have,to be able to make something so amazing out of an old truck and road signs,ect!.I have an old Silkolene oil tin in my garden.I rescued it when 2 doors away from me were moving and didnt want it.It is old and rusty but I still love it and wish that I could do something like this to it.With only having a few screwdrivers,a hammer and a rusty saw as my tools,I dont think that would be possible,lol.His work is amazing.Thank you for sharing this with us.xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.