Thursday 26 August 2021

Find the Lincoln Imp.

Yesterday I went to the camera shop at Lincoln, then had a look around. I have been here a few times before, I like it. A few hours is not enough time to see it all, so several visits are advised. Free parking is available on Wragby Road a few minutes walk from the cathedral. I was disappointed that the two big art galleries were not open. 
The summer attraction is the Lincoln Imp Trail. These are scattered all over Lincoln. There is a list and map which can be downloaded. I saw several families ticking off the ones that they had found. Children seem to be enjoying it. I thought the sculptures were a colourful addition. 
Part of the Cathedral is covered in scaffolding. Team brief, what are we going to do next. 
It's easy to find your way around. There are signposts in abundance at most junctions. I had a map but didn't need to use it much, I was familiar with some of the route. 
Ooooh look, another Imp. When I saw the first one I thought it had only one leg, I was mistaken, they have two. 
Flower time is the best time to visit. The colourful display is lovely. 
And another.
I had a walk around Brayford Wharf and was able to climb up some steps to a balcony to get this shot of the Marina. 
Another Imp. He looks a bit angry. 
Standing on a road bridge overlooking the river. The Sea Cadets are having fun in their canoe's. 
Along comes a cruiser. Not many people on the lower deck, it looks a bit top heavy. 
It was inevitable that some of the teenagers would end up in the water. It was good to see them larking about and having fun. 
On one side of the water it is mainly commercial, hotels, shops, and eateries. On the other there are a lot of University buildings, which are empty at the moment. August is holiday time.  
I took this picture because I liked the contrast between the personal decorations of pot plants on top of the narrowboat, the modern multistory car park and retail buildings, and on top of it all rising high above the city the historical Cathedral. 
Look what I found. A picnic table decorated with a lovely cloth and sunflowers, with an abundance of delicious food. The ladies were celebrating a birthday, and they had all brought along a contribution in the way of food and drink. One of the ladies lives in the narrow boat with the pot plants on top. What a fantastic idea to have it out in the open. This made my day to see it. The ladies were smashing. It was a pleasure to meet you, if you find this blog post. 
I headed back towards the town. Ooooh look, another Imp. 
The railway crossing gates were down to let a train through. 
A bit further on I crossed over the line via a footbridge. A lot of people waiting for a train. 
And they all pile on when it arrives. It's a very short train. Could have done with an extra carriage I think. 

Another Imp. I like his green face. 

The river goes right through the centre. Book your tickets here for the cruise. 
There is a coffee shop on this boat. it looks like it is closed. 

This Imp is gorgeous, I love the colours. 
If you want more information about the Imp Trail, 
check out this web site.  
Or this web site.
I had a fabulous day out yesterday, now I must get on with my chores. 
Thank you for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

16 comments:

  1. Those Imps look fun for kids to find. The Green one is based on the Medieval "Green Man" - notice the foliage coming out of his mouth. Inside the Cathedral there are sure to be more Green Men lurking in the carvings and the original Lincoln Imp too, up in the Angel Choir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day out! Great to see people enjoying life and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some lovely photo's here, thank you for taking us along with you, Tilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy day to keep things in perspective. Not every day is doom and gloom.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great day out. I enjoyed the tour of Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are superb, the Brayford is very nice, especially in the summer months, my favourite part of the city is bailgate and Steep Hill - rooted in history. What I like about Lincoln is although its a city of over 100,000 people, within a very short space of time, wherever you are - you can be in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like to browse on the Steep Hill. Cute little shops. Lincoln does seem quite compact.

      Delete
  6. Lincoln is lovely. I used to belong to an English Civil War Re-enactment group and actually stayed in Lincoln Castle. The imps are lovely and in Norwich there are dinosaurs to find this year, probably because we have dippy here in the Cathedral. You had a lovely day, so pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done the Cathedral and Castle before, so no need this time. The Imps added a splash of colour to it all. A bit like Shawn the Sheep at Bristol which I didn't get to see because I couldn't find anywhere to park.

      Delete
  7. I didnt realise that Lincoln was such a lovely place!.I have only ever traveled on the outskirts with the Cathedral in view from a distance.Those Imps remind me of elephants that were in Brighton a few years ago.They were auctioned off at the end of the summer for a local hospital.I am going to put Lincoln on my to go to list this year.I maybe able to get there for free with my bus pass!Glad that you had a great time.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun day. I love those imps! It's been several decades since I was in Lincoln and the ladies' potluck lunch celebration was a pleasant reminder of late summer time pleasures. Thank you, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those picnic tables are all over the place but I don't see many people using them. It only takes a bit of imagination to make an event even better.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.