Tuesday 8 February 2022

Teenage crush

 As a teenager in the sixties, I was starting to take an interest in good looking young men. Top of the Pops and Ready Steady Go were blaring out of the box in the corner of the living room every week. This is where I learnt how to scream at pop stars. 

There was another programme I insisted we watch, me being the only one in the house who demanded we tuned into it. My mum, brother and sister, had no interest in it. There were two teams of four people who sat behind a counter top, the question master was facing them. I'm not really a fan of quiz programmes because I can never answer the questions. But this I had to watch. 

It was Bamber Gascoigne I wanted to see, and swoon over, on University Challenge. I thought he was gorgeous. Handsome with a lovely smile, and obviously very clever as well. I was besotted. 

I wrote him a fan letter, telling him how much I enjoyed seeing him on the tele. I asked him if he had a fan club, and if he hadn't I could start one for him. He replied. He didn't have a fan club, and sadly he didn't want one. I thought I still had the letter but I can't find it. 

I see that he has passed away. A little memory embedded in my brain. Rest in peace Bamber. You were my heartthrob for a while. 

Catch ya later.  Toodle pip.   Ilona

6 comments:

  1. I wonder about everyone who pops off now as to if they've had the poison dart. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wonder that as well. I was speaking to someone up the street the other day. Her and her husband go to the Stand in the Park meetings. Her husbands sister was found dead at home. She said it's not the right thing to do, to ask the question. I think family would want to cover it up. Not something you can ask.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Awe bless 🌹nice story ilona
    Rip Bamber Gascoigne

    Levi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Born sixteen days after Elvis, but lived more than twice as long. A good result methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bamber was handsome and clever too - a very attractive combination!! I couldn't answer any of the questions on University Challenge but I like looking at him too!

    In 2014 he unexpectedly inherited a huge mansion and estate from an aunt which must have been an enormous burden for him and his wife. It's called West Horsley Place and is a Grade I medieval manor. It has appeared as Button House in the comedy series Ghosts and is now part of a trust. I understand it's in very poor repair and needs a lot of money to restore it.

    Amanda, Sussex

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.