Saturday 2 April 2022

The weaving is finished

It's been a freezing cold day. I didn't realise how cold it was until I took Billy dog for a walk. We went along the edge of a field behind the big posh houses. I hadn't put a big jacket on because it looked sunny through the window. The wind whipped across that field and I ended up with earache. The hail and snow came down for a few minutes. The good news is that Billy's mum has a negative test result, and she looks a lot better. Her hairdresser was due so she needed to wash her hair. That's why I went an hour earlier than the normal 3pm. 
I finished this wall hanging last week. It is 24 inches by 13 inches. The woven background is old tee shirts and other scraps of material. There is one leg from a pair of tights in there.
The tree is made from coated wire the sort you buy for tying up plants in the garden. I wrapped it in tee shirt fabric and added some blanket stitch onto it to give the impression of bark. I'm not sure if I like the tree. It could have been better. 

I put blue loops on to colour match the sky.

I covered the back with the snooker table green baize that a friend gave me. It has been useful for so many jobs now. There isn't much left. The hanger is driftwood picked up from the river bank. 


I stitched the back and front together with blanket stitch. That was hellish to do. Sticking the needle through multi layers was achieved by using a pair of pliers. 



The job took longer than I thought it would. The initial idea seemed so simple, but the weaving needed to be tight so I was working with two inch wide strips. The ends had to be fastened together with a few stitches so they wouldn't come adrift. Then they had to be trimmed to get rid of some of the bulk so I could get a needle through them. I had to keep taking a break and walking away from it. But as it was taking shape I was spurred on to get it finished. 
Today I have been busy making something else, which I will show tomorrow. Now I'm going to relax with a glass of cider, and hope the weather is a bit better tomorrow. 
Have a nice weekend. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.  ilona

4 comments:

  1. You have such creative ideas Ilona - I love the way you use up odd bits and pieces from all over the place and end up with something quite spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very lovely. I used to buy the old fashioned rag rugs for my home and they stayed in good condition for many many years and if they started to come apart I would re-sew them myself. Putting fabric together like that makes it very sturdy for rugs. Have a wonderful Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, as always. My wife and daughter both do cross stitch. We've about half a dozen of their pieces around the house, similar in size to your tree. The hobby of one of our neighbours, a retired guy, is quilting, so there are some men somewhere doing crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the weaving art. It just amazes my how you just start with noting and using scapes of this and that end up with something that gorgeous. I just don’t have that type of creativity. I am only creative when it comes to trying to fix something or coming up with a way to do something without spending money. lol 😂 It’s not pretty but it works lol.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.