Saturday 9 April 2022

Hog news.

 Good morning. It's Sunny Saturday. I went shopping last night at 7.15pm. Before I went I put out some food for the hogs, because I didn't know what time I would be back. They didn't have any hedgehog food in Home Bargains, I will have to try somewhere else for that. Maybe The Range would be a good place, they seem to have a good selection of pet food. 

I went to Aldi as well, got my essentials. I was a bit earlier than usual there, and a bit quicker going round the shop. I wanted to get back and check the hog plate.

Arrived home at 9pm. The plate was empty, something had scoffed the lot. There was a lone hedgehog with it's nose in the water bowl. Hog disappeared under the hedge. Did he have it, or did the neighbourhood cats get it. That is the question. Who gets there first. Straight away I refilled the plate, with wet cat food and dry Whiskas. I noticed that the hogs prefer the dry. 

I put the shopping away, and put the outside light on so I could check if there were any takers from the plate of nosh. Ten minutes later a hog appeared, and tucked into the dry Whiskas. 

I have noticed that if I light the area and leave it on, the hogs don't seem to mind that. But if it is dark and I then put the light on when they are about, they freeze because they are frightened. 

I might rig up some extra lighting so I can video them. I can see that this is going to be my routine for a while now. Put hedgehog food out at night. 

Have a good weekend. I hope this sun stays, I want to go out. 

Toodle pip.   ilona

5 comments:

  1. That will a great video. I have never seen one, so this experience is so exciting. We have a ground hog that lives between our yard and the neighbors. But they are not so plant and garden friendly. As a matter of fact we have so many in certain areas of our town the local baseball team are called the Princeton Whistle Pigs. 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ilona x🐗
    The Range is very good shop! I often go for a look around I love there pick n mix 😍

    Have a great Saturday meanqueen

    Levi xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your blog this morning about your activities with your new friends. Am wondering if hedgehogs are the same as groundhogs in America. Do you know? Blessings to you. Have a great day 💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. One idea you could think about is to get one (or more--some come only in packs of 2 or 3) of those solar lawn lights if the sun shines in that spot during the day. Just push it into the ground and when it gets dark it lights up--no electric needed. We put some on the rail going down the back steps and they've been going strong now nearly 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to see a video of what you got at Home Bargains. I enjoys those, and also your posts about the food you are eating. Looking forward to seeing the hedgehogs too!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.