Thursday 25 March 2021

New normal?

Good morning. I see on the twitttterattta  that Judge Rinder, (I am not familiar with his TV programme), has had his phone snatched from his hand in a London Street. A horrible experience I would imagine. Theft of one's personal possessions, especially when they are wrenched from your hand must be a very traumatic experience. 

This kind of crime seems to be gathering momentum. Youngsters on scooters and bikes looking for easy prey. Most bikes are stolen, two people wearing balaclavas can make quite a lot of money by taking this particular line of work. It can be very lucrative so I understand.  
The sensible thing to do would be to never walk about anywhere with your phone in your hand. But of course people do just that, because they cannot bear to be isolated from the rest of the world. I have missed calls on my little Nokia because the phone was in my bag and I couldn't get it out quick enough. Not to worry. I prefer to be unobtainable for a while.  
I bet the companies who sell phones, and those who provide the services are rubbing their hands with glee. YAY, someone is going to need a new phone. 
Here is Roberts tweeeet...... and a few responses.
I’ve just had my phone grabbed out my hands by 3 boys wearing balaclavas on bikes (Finchley Road & Canfield gardens). They laughed as I shouted to drop it. I'm in shock.
It’s sadly a common occurrence. A single person on a moped can steal around £4K worth of phones every day and the phones are given to a fencer before you’ve even called the police.
This happened to me, except I chased the guy. He was on a push bike. I knocked him off his bike. He grabbed me and threw me into oncoming traffic. I never let go. He was a career criminal and thankfully got thrown in jail.
This happened to me outside Euston station last year. I was also punched in stomach but screamed and ran after attacker as did half the station and he dropped the phone.
Same thing happened to me some time ago, luckily a postman was near by , I jumped in his van and we chased them up the road, I dived out the van on top of the guy to his surprise, gave him a black eye and retrieved my phone.
Happened to me also in Russells Square. Devastated me. Unfortunately the police said this is happening a lot but they hardly ever find the people that do it.
Had my phone snatched out of my hand by boys on bikes on West End lane just a week or so ago — tracked my phone being cycled down to Kilburn, and then it was switched off.

Please be careful people. In an ideal world nothing would get stolen, but it does, so take steps to protect your valuables.
Thanks for popping in. Time for brekkie. Toodle pip. ilona

14 comments:

  1. Hi Ilona oh dear.ive watched judge finder he seem a very decent chap so he would be shocked by this.i do a lot of walking now I was on a beach front last week loads just looking at there phone walking along and bikes whizzing past us would be super easy for someone to snatch the phone instantly.then all your personal stuff on it too.the world is harsh now in many ways.thankgoodness still many many good kind people out there cancelling out bad stuff.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame that people are losing touch with the real world.

      Delete
  2. It#s not so much the phone, it can be replaced, but all the personal information it contains. We had the unfortunate experience of losing (stolen) both our phones whilst on holiday, they were in a back-pack hanging on the back of my wifes wheelchair. Lost about 10 years worth of numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a very mean crime. They stop at nothing.

      Delete
  3. I went for a walk today after dropping my son off at the train station and I suddenly realised I’d left my phone on the charger at home. At first I was a bit shocked but no map, no chance to call anyone and more importantly no one interrupting my walk turned out to be quite an adventure. I chatted with a dog walker who described a beautiful path but I didn’t really know how long it would be for real. It took about an hour, I used the church as a guiding post back to my car and I’ve seen loads of new plants and litter picked on the way round. It was actually really lovely and the sun helped of course too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. There is so much more to see when you look around you, and not at a screen.

      Delete
  4. I walk around strange towns with my phone in my hand following maps to bus stations, hotels etc. I don’t have it out in familiar places. My husband walks on the side I am holding the phone to try and cut down theft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judge Rinder was lucky that he didnt get beaten up as well.Round where I live,they use hammers,knives,BB guns,pepper sprays...anything to scare people to handing over anything that they have in their pockets or backpacks.They take peoples bikes from them,scooters anything that the thieving scumbags want to take....because they know the police will do nothing.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, Debi. I have no idea where you live, but that sounds horrendous. I am sorry you have to put up with that in your area.

      Delete
    2. On the face of it where I live is lovely and the majority of people are nice...it is just the scutters that will quite happily travel from surrounding areas,that spoil it for us.Anyone with a drug problem,drink problem,criminal record,ect,the council will quite happily rehouse around here.Then their friends from the area they have been kicked out from all come and stay with them.I live in Leicester and had a bloke stabbed on my doorstep years ago.The scumbags who did it came from Birmingham.The guy was too terrified to press charges and name them...so they got away with it!.The polices attitude seem to be that there is no prove who is doing these things,even though there are numerous cameras in the area.The police have lost control in this country...as you can see by the latest riots.Until they start handing out hard sentences,I am afraid that this will be the norm now.xx

      Delete
  6. My Grandson who lives and works in London had exactly the same thing happen to him. He was just grateful that they just snatched it and didn't have a knife.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I do think being permanently glued to phones isnt good, I wouldn't be without mine. Theres so much I can do on a small device, mobile banking, playing games, surf the web, take photos, post on YouTube, track walking miles, twitter, directions, up to date info on how busy a shop is, identify planets and stars in the night sky, a torch, a panic alarm, to name but a few.

    Also judge rinder, well worth a catch up of his "who do you think you are" the tv programme that traces family history. His was very emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter walks around with it stuck out of the back pocket of her jeans. It's an open invitation and she gets told so often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd think he'd learn not to carry it in full view of everyone, but apparently not.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.