Sunday 19 February 2023

On yer bike

Now that I have all the gear, helmet, padded pants, jazzy leggings, and yellow vest, I thought I had better make a start on the cycling practice. 

Oh boy am I wobbly. I am not very good at steering when going slow. I think I need some mirrors because when I look over my shoulder I wobble all over the place. I need a bit more practice with changing gears. The helmet is not very comfortable on top of my sun visor, but it has to be like that. I need the visor to keep the sun out of my eyes. I might lower the saddle an inch or two because I can't put both feet on the ground when stationary. 

I did a few miles this afternoon and I am so not fit. Puffing up the hills. Sore bum, and aching legs. People tell me I have to keep doing it and the bum gets used to it. I have two pairs of padded pants on, and a gel seat. 

I might need to do a short ride every day to see if there is any improvements. I will let you know if it gets any easier. 

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

6 comments:

  1. Yes, regular practice helps the bum and the legs. Try hot gluing an old visor to the helmet or you can get one that fits over the helmet. As well, you can get a mirror that attached to your helmet to see behind you...I have one. Wobbling into traffic is not safe! Good luck.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Ilona your a determined lady you'll be zipping around on that bike soon lolxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it a go. Back to walking today, my bum is still sore.

      Delete
    2. I didn’t learn to cycle until I was in my late 40s. It was always a shameful and embarrassing secret. I tried to learn as a child and fell off a bike with stabilisers. My Mum made a big thing about it and decided I’d never learn. I’m forever grateful for my husband for having the patience to teach me and I mastered it after 3-4 days. I absolutely love cycling now although only ever go out on traffic free trails or quiet roads. The sore bum does get better the more you do. Some of the cycling pants with huge pads make the problem worse. I got some from Decathlon with a smaller pad and found that helped. I think the gel seats can vary in comfort as well. I think you use different muscles when cycling so build up gradually.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that encouragement. I used to bike when I was a teenager, but didn't keep it up as a hobby. I went out today and wore only one pair of padded pants. I must say it was a lot better. My bum doesn't feel so sore tonight. I will stick at it.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.