Tuesday 5 October 2021

A surprise at Horgabost Camp Site.

This was my pitch at Horgabost Camp Site. I was right not to bring the tent. Putting that up and taking it down several times in the wind and rain would have been a pain in the butt. I managed perfectly well in the car. 
A walk on the beach before bed time.

The next morning I was in the wash room with my head bent over the sink having a wash and brush up, when I sensed that someone had gone into a cubicle. After towelling myself dry I looked up and was utterly amazed when the lady called my name. We looked at each other in disbelief. Brenda, what are you doing here. We both laughed. How come I can drive a few hundred miles north, and bump into someone I know who has cycled a very long way across from the other side of the country. What a surprise that was. Some of you may have been reading Brenda's blog, the link is on my side bar. 
Brenda very kindly put me up one night when I was doing a long walk, and she once called in at my house when she was on her way to somewhere further south. And by pure coincidence we meet again. Amazing. 
Here are Brenda and Joe, on their way to their next stopover further south.  
After a coffee I was on my way. I was heading for Leverburgh to get the ferry to Berneray, North Uist. I had a bit of time to spare so I carried on past the sign for the ferry terminal and headed for Rodel and the end of the road. 

This is St Clements Church, sitting on top of a grassy hump. It is dated from the 1520s. 



The door was unlocked so I had a look inside. 


The steps went so far up the tower but the views weren't very good because the windows are so small. It was dark and spooky. 

I had a walk along the road. Further on is the old Port of Rodel. 
I arrived at Leverburgh in plenty of time for the ferry. 
There is a posh seafood restaurant there. I settled for egg and chips and a coffee from the Butty Bus and sat in my car to eat it. 

A walk around the terminal while I waited for the boat. 

That's it for this one, plenty more to come. Thanks for popping in. 
We'll catch up soon. 
Toodle pip. 

7 comments:

  1. You really have taken in all the best places. North Uist next, whoop! whoop! Mind you Berneray is forgotten gem of an island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might like wheelsfreedom.blogspot.com this was our manic 250 mile bike ride on the Outer Hebs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. I'll have a look. Since I have been back I have watched numerous videos on cycling and walking on the Outer Hebrides.

      Delete
  3. What a super holiday you had, all the sort of places that I love lol
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a surprise to see someone you know all those miles away from home!.I can remember being on holiday in Spain and meeting up with a family just chatting around the pool...then about a year later bumping in to them in Blackpool!.That looks a heavy load that your friends carry with them,but I envy all the freedom it gives them to go where ever they please!I bet you enjoyed your egg and chips from that Butty Bus.Much better than sitting in some over priced restaurant!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo's ilona💞 the story about Brenda very gooood😀 ,, looked like you had a smashing holiday meanqueen, BEST wishes Levi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago, my middle son was stationed on the RAF Camp at Benbecula. We toured the islands, and had a wonderful time, visiting The Black House, the Standing Stones, ending up on Lewis, my grandson was born on Stornaway. We had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.