Sunday 10 October 2021

A Woodland Walk at Langass.

I went to bed with a sunset on one side of the car, and woke with a sunrise on the other side. Ooooh, that looks promising.
But the weather can be very changeable, very quickly on the islands. I sat drinking my coffee and watched it turn into rain. Maybe I won't need the sun visor today. 

Continuing my journey north I pulled into a car park with a sign that said Burial Ground, or something like that. There was a path up to a big pile of stones at the top of a small hill. Worth a look I thought. The wind was blowing sideways and the rain was battering my face. When I got there it was a bit of a disappointment. The pile of stones was a burial chamber. There had been access to look inside, but unfortunately the entrance had collapsed. A big notice warned of danger. I walked around the perimeter and beat a hasty retreat back to my car.
Yoootooober Andrew Ditton made a video about a woodland walk, which wasn't far away so I set off to find it. There is a car park with a notice at the entrance. There aren't many trees on the Hebrides, mainly due to the wind I think, so a wood to walk through is a treat.  

The paths are nicely laid out and easy to follow. I always have a habit of getting lost in woods. There are some nice pictures on this site

And here is Hercules. This is the story.
There is a statue of Hercules the bear, who became known worldwide in 1980 when he escaped while making an advert for Andrex on the island. He was recaptured after about 3 weeks and went on to feature in the James Bond film Octopusy. When Hercules died in 2001 he returned to the island and is buried in the woods. His owner died in 2019 and as was his wish, is buried alongside Hercules.

There are lots of small red top mushrooms. At first I thought they were ceramic, but on closer inspection, no, they are real. 

Fairy doors can also be found by the eagle eyed. 

A video of my walk. It was kind of magical, like an enchanted forest. 
After a pleasant though somewhat blustery walk it was time to get back on the road and continue my journey to the Ferry Terminal at Berneray, and return to Harris. 
I went a walk yesterday so I have some pictures and a video of that, which I will post later. Almost at the end of the Hebrides holiday, a bit more to come.
Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. 
Toodle pip.  ilona

9 comments:

  1. I found the burial ground thing dissapointing too. Haven't done the woodland walk. Always nice to have something to go back for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot more I could have done if I had been more prepared. I think it would be better with two people to share the driving.

      Delete
    2. That was a good comment below from Bovey Belle. I think once you've been to the Western Isles once, they get in your system - next time you may get the maps out and plan what you would like to do.

      Delete
  2. The red fungi is one of the Russula family - common name for this one "The Sickener"! Not one for the dinnerplate then :)

    The burial chamber is called Barpa Langass and dates from the Neolithic (about 5,000 years old - the Stone Age to non-archaeologists). It's a type called a passage grave. Obviously now it's collapsed, you need the information to explain it as you can't see it for yourself. Apparently there is a walk to a good nearby stone circle known as Finn's People with fabulous views, but not in the pouring rain I'm guessing. A burial cairn isn't exciting - the interest is in reading about it and its position in the landscape in relation to other antiquities.

    How nice that Hercules the bear was buried where he was obviously happy (and his owner too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking at the map and watching videos quite a lot since I have been back. There is a lot more that I could have seen. I think two or three visits are needed to take it all in.

      Delete
    2. It's surprising how a landscape is such a palimpsest of the past, right back to the Mesolithic although not much to be found of these earliest times even on an archaeological site, but the microliths (tiny flint blades used in hunting and fishing when they were inset in spears and harpoons) survive to give us this link with the past.

      I hope you will go back and see the wider picture. I've always wanted to go to the Outer Hebrides but Skye was as close as we got.

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to let you know how much I am appreciating your pictures and narratives. I always thought a road trip through Scotland would be cool, and you are proving me right! Thank you, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I would like to see more of Scotland. There is no need to go as far as the islands, such a lot to see on the mainland. Out of midge season though of course.

      Delete
  4. My husband worked with a guy who rode his bicycle through Scotland. I don't know if he camped or went from town to town, but I thought it was a wonderful trip. He was about 60 when he did this.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.