Thursday 7 October 2021

Checking out the big ferry at Lochmaddy

Oh no, not more boat pictures, ha ha. Yep, I find them fascinating. I like to watch the movement of people, by whatever means of transport they choose. Loading and unloading of boats, going somewhere exciting. 
I got off the small boat at Berneray and set off south. I fancied going to Lockmaddy where the big boat comes in from Uig on Skye. I was lucky, there was one in. 
Amazing how the front lifts up. Like a whale with it's mouth open waiting to swallow up whatever is in it's path. The last few vehicles were disembarking. 

Wonder what it's like to view the surrounding area from that high up. 

Shortly after the last car was off, they started loading up again. Staff guiding them in, and signalling where to park. 
Close the ramp, cast off, and lower the nose. 

I found this short video of the big boat leaving Lockmaddy. Love the drone footage. Sadly I don't have a drone, I will share this, I'm sure they don't mind. The landscape from above is stunningly beautiful.
 
I am not sure how long it will take me to drive down to Eriskay, so I'll set off now and look for a camp site, and do some bimbling on the way back up. This looks a good place at Benbecula, and it was. Plenty of room to park up. the facilities were excellent, very clean showers and wash facilities. They had a campers kitchen where you could prepare your own meals and wash up after. I took my little camping stove in there and cooked up some noodles. I sat outside to eat my meal, they didn't mind if you moved a chair.  
The beach nearby was five minutes walk away. It was a bit chilly, but I wrapped up well. A good sleep in the car. 
Next morning I had another little walk after breakfast, and when I got back Diane the owner was about so we had a chat. It turns out that she is into arts and crafts so we had a lot to talk about. 
Time to head further south. More in the next instalment. Catch ya later. 
Toodle pip.  ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.